Of all the super healthy greens, kale is king. It is definitely one of the healthiest and most nutritious plant foods in existence.
Here are 10 great benefits of adding more green kale to your diet:
1. Kale Is Among The Most Nutrient-Dense Foods on The Planet
Kale is very high in nutrients and very low in calories, making it one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet.
2. It Is an Excellent Source of Vitamin C
Kale is extremely high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that has many important roles in the body. A single cup of raw kale actually contains more vitamin C than an orange.
3. Kale Is Loaded With Powerful Antioxidants Like Quercetin and Kaempferol
Many powerful antioxidants are found in kale, including quercetin and kaempferol, which have numerous beneficial effects on health.
4. Kale Can Help Lower Cholesterol, Which May Reduce The Risk of Heart Disease
Kale contains substances that bind bile acids and lower cholesterol levels in the body. Steamed kale is particularly effective.
5. Kale Is One of The World’s Best Sources of Vitamin K
Vitamin K is an important nutrient that is involved in blood clotting. A single cup of kale contains 7 times the RDA for vitamin K.
6. There Are Numerous Cancer-Fighting Substances in Kale
Kale contains substances that have been shown to help fight cancer in test-tube and animal studies, but the human evidence is mixed.
7. Kale Is Very High in Beta-Carotene
Kale is very high in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that the body can turn into vitamin A.
8. Kale Is a Good Source of Minerals That Most People Don’t Get Enough Of
Many important minerals are found in kale, some of which are generally lacking in the modern diet. These include calcium, potassium and magnesium.
9. Kale Is High in Lutein and Zeaxanthin, Powerful Nutrients That Protect the Eyes
Kale is high in lutein and zeaxanthin, nutrients that have been linked to a drastically reduced risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
10. Kale Should Be Able to Help You Lose Weight
As a nutrient-dense, low-calorie food, kale makes an excellent addition to a weight loss diet.
Fortunately, adding kale to your diet is relatively simple. You can simply add it to your salads or use it in recipes.
A popular snack is kale chips, where you drizzle some extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil on your kale, add some salt and then bake in it an oven until dry.
It tastes absolutely delicious and makes a great crunchy, super healthy snack.
A lot of people also add kale to their smoothies in order to boost the nutritional value.
At the end of the day, kale is definitely one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the planet.
If you want to dramatically boost the amount of nutrients you take in, consider loading up on kale.